Tuesday

Thomas Covenant and Alvin Maker comments:
DiffidentVoice had a nice summary of Thomas, although there was no mention that there is not one, thick, dense, and extremely intense trilogy.
But two -- six thick books.
Comparable to Lord of the Rings in scope & high fantasy, but more depressing along the lines of the Gormenghast trio.
The Mordant's Need duo is maybe his best; the Gap 5 (slim "Rest of the Story" 4 thick ones) is kind of fun, but he's a heavy writer.

I've only read Thomas I twice, and Thomas II once -- too many sad things happen. But what do expect when the hero is a leper? I think Donaldson is a fine writer at creating an imaginative world -- one *I* prolly wouldn't think of. (or you?).

Alvin is more fun, happier, and more re-readable. I quite like (II) Red Prophet. It's gonna be tough for OSC to continue/ finish it, though, I'm afraid; waiting and hoping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home