Saturday

Sorry Jon, in my voluminous recent stuff I posted that I was an agnostic -- but very much not sure. Coming from a young RAH "radical agnostic" position, where I found same-sex behavior distateful but tolerable. Now I am more against gays.
Who can really tell if they have been hurt by "buddy sex"? If you're already damaged, it might well be no additional damage -- I don't know. My wife was a virgin on our wedding night; I wasn't. I'm happy for me, sad for her. Marrying a virgin is an excellent ideal, even if the majority who marry are not. How can anybody prove that the increase in divorce was, or was not, caused by a decrease in the numbers of weddings of adult virgins?

My juvinile RAH free sex ideal has changed.

All this talk about other societies accepting other forms of marriage -- but they are all inferior civilizations. Measured by health, by wealth, by technicnology, by human rights.
The Christian civilization of our European heritage, including its Spanish Inquisition, Orthodox schism, etc., is certainly not perfect. (Excessive taxes & gov't spending, for one thing, or is that two?) But it's better than the alternatives.

Man-woman union in a faithful marriage, this ideal which so often was not, and is not, achieved; but an ideal that most married folks would agree is their personal ideal; marriage gets my vote as one the key pillars of our civilization's success.

And marriage is certainly in perilous shape in society now -- I earlier claimed one of the (many small) reasons for opposing gay marriage was that it was more easily opposed. Stopping gay marriage will not save marriage or strengthen it much; legal acceptance of gay marriage will not hurt marriage as much as TV has, and the socially developed culture of consumeristic materialism.

Love Waits programs, Promise Keepers programs, they seem hopeful movements.

Here in Central Europe, we recently had huge floods. (Greenhouse gases affecting weather, prolly -- raise pollution taxes is a partial answer, but that's for somewhere else.) Maybe you saw some pictures of Germany or Prague being flooded? Maybe you saw people putting up sandbags to stop the river. In Prague, neither sandbags nor anything else was enough -- the floods came.
In Slovak Bratislava, the city side of the Danube, reinforced with sandbags, was saved.

I view my opposition to gay marriage as a sandbag; small, but real, and doable by me as individual. And whether it helps or not is not under my control, but whether I try to help, or not, is.

Oops, forgot to add that yes, if it can be shown that promiscuity does no damage, I would be less against. (I'll always be some against it because I feel damaged by it.) Perhaps there are statistics showing that those who had "buddy sex" before marriage (not necessarily with their spouse) have a lower divorce rate. Because I'd guess it's at least a little be worse, I'd look pretty careful.

Again I challenge any of the pro-gay folks -- what kind of "fact", even if unknowable, or known false, would make you change your mind? If you can't think of any, you're closed minded.

I also thank Luny, for at least liking the analogy. I notice none who criticize my drunk driving analogy addressed the point: most drunk driving hurts nobody. Do you accept drunk driving?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home